Have you ever dreamed about paddling on a serene lake in the middle of the wilderness, surrounded only by
forest, rock faces, and solitude from the hustle and bustle of life? Have you fantasized about challenging
yourself to portage a canoe, cook a meal, light a campfire, and sleep in a tent after lying on a rock looking at
the vast sky above you? How about seeing beavers, turtles, skinks, and chipmunks? Then dream no more!
Join MOPACK Ontario on an experience of a lifetime backcountry canoeing in pristine wilderness only 20 minutes
away from the J.O.E. This trip is inside a magnificent Muskoka’s Provincial Massasauga Park.
Your Post-Trip starts when J.O.E. ends. Our first night will be at Oastler Lake Provincial Park Campground, the
sister park to our backcountry destination. Tuesday, we’ll paddle from the put-in on Three-Legged Lake and
portage into Spider Lake for two nights of backcountry canoe camping. This sensational body of water features
many bays, inlets, surprises ‘round the bend, rugged rocky shorelines, and green forest to enjoy as you paddle
to your campsite.
This trip will be guided by Mosaic’s own certified canoe trip and paddling leaders. Beginners and experts are
Once we reach our site, you’ll participate in setting up a group camp and your shared tent. Here we will enjoy
paddling the clear and clean lake, building roaring campfires, enjoy making meals together and sleeping under
the stars, and of course, making new friends share the memories you will create. There will be lots of time for
paddling, swimming, exploring, chilling, chatting, sharing jokes, and singing around the campfire.
Every campsite has a picnic table, fire pit, and box privy. Mosaic will provide all group gear, including
tents, tarps, stoves and utensils, canoes, P.F.D.’s, and paddles. Permits are included in the cost, but
additional car parking permits for those with their car will be an additional cost for the car owner.
As a participant, you will need the following:
- Rain gear (the trip will be rain or shine). Sleeping bag, appropriate clothing/footwear for the weather. A
gear list will be provided to help guide you on what to bring.
- Be expected to wear a secure P.F.D. when on the water.
- All our gear comes with us. It’s essential to be able to participate in the carrying of the canoes and gear
across our portage. Every contribution helps.
- Be a participant in the group meal preparation and clean-up. Mosaic provides vegetarian meals, kosher-style.
Cost: $499 CA / $396 US (camping, food & transportation fee from Camp to Post-Trip to
Toronto Pearson airport) …
- Optional sleeping bag rental $15 CA/ $12 US
- Paddle distance: Three-Legged Lake 2.4 km (1.5 mi.) + Spider 3.6 km (2.2 mi.)
- Portage distance: 370 m (0.23 mi.)
- Total driving distance from Camp to Oastler Lake Provincial
Park: 23 km (14 mi.) / 20 minutes
- Total driving distance from Take-Out to Toronto Pearson
Airport: 218 km (135 mi.)/ 2 hr. 10 min.
- Vehicle: van or cars